Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Ford Granada Estate


Ford Granada Estate
Originally uploaded by Smallbrainfield.
One of the highlights of going on holiday to Malta is the cars. You get a clue as you leave the airport. Nearly every other shop is a garage, and when you walk about you see why.

The climate is very kind to automobiles, and they fall apart less readily than they do here. So it isn't unusual to come across a 30 year old car in almost uncannily good condition.

The Granada was a particular treat. A proper working automobile, (the boot was full of breeze blocks ) it probably rolled off the production line some time in the late seventies/early eighties. A time when cars seemed oilier, more mechanical and regularly being fixed by sweating husbands with socket set and Haynes manual spread out on the pavements as I rode past on my Raleigh Viking 5 speed racer. This car reminds me of that time, not necessarily a better time, just a car I liked the look of as a kid, and still do. It has a no messing look about it.

If you click on the pic, it'll take you to my Flickr page, where there are a few other cars I saw while I was in Malta. My family were very patient with me whilst I took pictures of old cars, but I got the feeling I'd crossed some line with them after a few days and stopped.

No comments: